Chickpea vegan tuna salad is the best fish-free, plant-based balanced meal perfect as a lunch, dinner, or side dish. This quick and easy 1 bowl recipe idea is perfect when you need something hearty, filling, and delicious.
Isn't it wonderful that our God gave us a variety of clean food options and meat alternatives for us to enjoy and stay nourished? Yet they are inexpensive and so good for you.
This egg-free, meat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, oil-free salad is the perfect example of that.
I know, you've never had a tuna salad like this before 🙂
Once served, I'm pretty sure that vegans and non-vegans alike will happily gobble it down!
Wait, do you know what's the best part? This simple veggie-loaded meal-prep requires no cooking at all. We don't want to spend hours in the kitchen, right?
Vegan Tuna Salad with Chickpeas
Searching for high-protein healthy meatless recipes that actually taste good?
If you need a tasty, wholesome dish ready in 15 minutes or less then this recipe is just for you.
In fact, this protein-rich garbanzo bean spread is not only nutritious but will also take your clean eating to new heights. Win-win!
Loaded with plant protein, healthy fats, and fiber, this super flavorful chickpea vegan tuna salad with avocado makes a great light lunch for work, school, road trips, or picnics. Make a double batch and you'll have a unique last-minute salad for guests or family gatherings. I'm sure its creamy texture and incredibly rich flavor will impress anyone!
This fast and fresh salad recipe is a must for tonight. And now, let's make it!
Chickpea Vegan Tuna Salad Recipe Ingredients
You'll need a few whole foods to prepare this effortless vegetarian salad. They are all budget-friendly pantry staples you may already have at home. Here they are:
- Chickpeas (canned or home-cooked)
- Homemade vegan ranch dressing (or vegan mayo/vegan sour cream)
- Red onion (or yellow onion)
- Scallions (spring onions)
- Corn (frozen or canned)
- Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- Salt, dried garlic, ground black pepper
As always, you can find the full recipe with a list of ingredients with measurements in a printable recipe card at the end of this post.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
How to make the best vegan tuna with chickpeas?
- Mash the chickpeas
First, mash the chickpeas with a strong fork, potato masher, or pulse it a few times with a blender (food processor). Leave a few beans whole for texture.
- Add other ingredients
Next, add diced avocado, finely chopped scallions, diced onion, pickles, corn, mustard, lemon juice, and spices.
- Mix to combine, serve and enjoy
Finally, mix everything together until all ingredients are well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings and lemon juice per taste.
Serve immediately with freshly baked flatbreads, refreshing salad, spread it on crunchy leafy greens, or use it as a dip for chopped vegetables.
Keep any leftovers refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days for a quick weekday work/school lunch or lazy dinner.
What goes best with vegan tuna
Because this vegan salad without oil is so versatile, you can serve it with so many dishes or eat it plain, on its own. Here are some ideas on how to use it:
- As a filling for sandwiches, flatbreads, wraps, or bagels
- Serve it alongside roasted broccoli, yummy baked potatoes, or crispy potato latkes as an amazing appetizer or snack
- As a topping for your favorite salad
- As a dip for veggies or crackers
- Make it a filling for lettuce wraps
- Mix it with your plant-based pasta dishes
- Pair it with crispy GF zucchini fritters as a cold picnic food (kids will love it) 🙂
Store any leftovers refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Make sure you stir it well before serving. This no-oil salad isn't freezer-friendly. Since it's not complicated at all, you can make it whenever you needed it. In my opinion, it's even better when left for a few hours or the next day, so the flavors may develop and blend together nicely.
I'm sure you are going to love this vegan protein-packed salad. It's:
- A crowd pleaser recipe
- Better than the classic tuna salad
- Weight loss-friendly
- So pleasing and appetizing!
More Cheap & Filling Vegan Meals
- Immunity-Boosting Purple Detox Soup
- Cozy Low-Calorie Potato Soup
- Protein-Rich Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Vegan Frittata with Chickpea Flour (No Eggs, No Tofu)
- Protein-Packed Vibrant Quinoa Salad
- Super Nourishing Red Lentil Soup
- Creamy Broccoli Soup Without Cream or Flour
- Warming Green Peas Stew
- 6 Ingredient Oyster Mushroom Meal
Chickpea Vegan Tuna Salad (Easy High-Protein Fish-Free Recipe)
- Fork, potato masher or blender
- Cutting board
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans) canned or home-cooked, rinsed, drained, mashed
- ⅓ cup homemade vegan ranch dressing or vegan mayo
- 1 ripe avocado medium-sized, diced
- 1 red onion small, finely diced
- 2 spring onions (scallions) finely chopped
- ⅓ cup corn frozen or canned
- 2 small pickles finely diced
- 1 ½ teaspoon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- salt, dried garlic, ground black pepper to taste
- First, mash the chickpeas with a strong fork, potato masher, or pulse it a few times with a blender (food processor). Leave a few beans whole for texture.
- Next, add diced avocado, finely chopped scallions, diced onion, pickles, corn, mustard, lemon juice, and spices.
- Finally, mix everything together until all ingredients are well incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings and lemon juice per taste. Serve immediately with freshly baked flatbreads, refreshing salad, spread it on crunchy leafy greens, or use it as a dip for chopped vegetables. Keep any leftovers refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 3 days for a quick weekday work/school lunch or lazy dinner.
- This recipe is easily customizable, you can use yellow onion instead of red, celery instead of scallions, or substitute vegan ranch dressing with hummus, vegan mayo, or vegan sour cream.
- You can even add thinly sliced olives or capers for a more tangy flavor.
- You can spice up your meatless salad with your favorite seasonings, as well.
Don’t forget to pin or share this post so you’ll have this vegan tuna salad recipe ready when you need it!
Did you try this chickpea vegan tuna salad? If you tried it, please rate it, leave a comment below, and share your photo on Instagram with the tag @go_eatgreen and hashtag it #go_eatgreen. I would love to see your pictures and your comments just make my day!
Follow me on Pinterest for more easy and delicious vegan recipe ideas.
This chickpea tuna salad sandwich recipe is so delicious! I loved all the flavors and it tasted just like tuna but without the fish!
I'm so glad you like my simple vegan tuna recipe, Kayla. Thank you for such a lovely comment!
I enjoyed these chickpea salad sandwiches. I used to eat a lot of tuna salad when I wasn't vegan and had never found a replacement! Thank you!
Oh, I'm happy you find a great replacement for fish, Tavo. Thank you, too, for taking the time to share your experience with us, I'm so glad you like it!
This is such a wholesome recipe! All of these ingredients are so nourishing and tasty. Thank you so much for sharing.
I'm pleased you loved my vegan tuna, Jacqui. And thank you very much for commenting!
This vegan salad looks so good. Filling and wholesome, love this recipe. Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you loved it, Shilpa. Thank you, too, for your lovely comment!
really awesome recipe! everyone loved it.
That's great! I'm so happy you loved my easy vegan tuna salad. Thank you, Nancy!
Quick, easy, and made for a tasty lunch at home!
Yes, it's perfect as a fast and easy homemade lunch. Thank you for commenting, Holly!
It will be my favourite tuna salad for sure... it tastes so good 🧡
Oh, it's my favorite too 🙂 I'm so happy you love it, Aneta. Thank you for your lovely comment, I really appreciate it!